Churches throughout have experienced decline in the past 10 to 15 years and not just during covid 19 crisis. There are more excuses and several legitimate reason why Christians are leaving the church. The laundry list is long on excuses and some legitimate reasons people have not returned.
Of course hypocrites is always on top of the list!
A few observations:
• People are not getting fed with spiritual nourishment. No meat or substance just junk food and shallow topical sermons. No biblical balanced diet.
- They don’t need or want a show or loud concert on stage when it comes to worshipping Christ.
- The church has become corporate like any business using slick marketing techniques.
- Leadership does not practice what it preaches and teaches. Lack of mentors and role models when following Christ.
- If you are attending a church and God is not glorified and Christ is not exalted, run! If God’s presence m, the Holy Spirit is not there, it is nothing but the old carnal machinery and the flesh. Men women, and personalizes are exalted and idolized. “The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly”.
I realize there are some good solid churches so I’m not generalizing here. Those following Christ with sincerity and authenticity your rewards will be plenty. Its all about servanthood and our motives.
If I were to plant a new church which is possible. I may name it: “The Church of the Disgruntled!”
I have faith that the church will turn it around and the thief (devil) will not win.
Jesus promised and said: “Now I say to you that you are Peter (which means ‘rock’), and upon this rock I will build my church, and all the powers of hell will not conquer it. And I will give you the keys of the Kingdom of Heaven. Whatever you forbid on earth will be forbidden in heaven, and whatever you permit on earth will be permitted in heaven.”
Matthew 16:18-19 NLT
My friend may we humble ourselves even for own own excuses under God’s mighty hand so His joy, love, and peace will flow in our lives this season.